Apps & Software
Apple seeds iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Apple File System
Apple has dropped the third major update to iOS 10 since it launched last year, in the form of iOS 10.3. The over-the-air iOS update brings a whole lot of new (and good) things in tow, including Find My AirPods (inside Find My iPhone) and Apple File System (APFS), and is now available to download and install on iOS 10-compatible devices.
iOS 10.3 has a new addition in the ‘Find My iPhone’ app that lets you track your AirPods. This comes handy when you’ve misplaced your AirPods, assuming you own them, somewhere in your room, as it allows for in-app tracking via maps or noise alert. Not that it’s all, the app also shows the last known location of when an AirPod was connected to an iOS device.
The software update comes with Apple’s very own as well as new file format, Apple File System (APFS), which is optimized for flash/SSD storage and renders better support for encryption. Therefore, it is advised to make a backup of your iPhone or iPad before upgrading to iOS 10.3, as it will upgrade the entire file format. It might free up some space on your device, actually.
Thanks to SiriKit, Siri on iOS 10.3 is now more powerful. Siri can now let you pay and check bills with payment apps, schedule Uber rides, and check car fuel level, lock status, and more with automaker apps. It can also brief you scores and statistics for cricket. While Siri stays ahead of time (just like Belle), CarPay is also getting some love. You can now easily access to last used apps through shortcuts in the status bar. The Now Playing screen has granted you access to Up Next and currently playing song’s album, too. Plus, curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music daily. There’s more to the addition of new features and improvements, please follow the official iOS 10.3 change-log after the fold…
Apple iOS 10.3 Full Features.
iOS 10.3 introduces new features including the ability to locate AirPods using Find my iPhone and more ways to use Siri with payment, ride booking and automaker apps.
Find My iPhone
- View the current or last known location of your AirPods
- Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them
- Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
- Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
- Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
- Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
- Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
- Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
Other improvements and fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
- Support for searching “parked car” in Maps
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
- Home app support for accessory battery level status
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail
Pingback: Apple releases macOS 10.12.4 with Night Shift for Mac | VertexReport