Apple has released iOS 11.1 to the public after more than a month of beta testing. The Halloween-timed rollout is the first major update for iOS 11, bringing in significant changes to the firmware.
iOS 11.1 comes with new emoji characters, features, and under-the-hood performance improvements.
Apple has added a bunch of new emoji characters from Unicode 10, including animals, faces, food, mythical creatures, and more. Beside new emojis, Apple has also made improvements to existing emojis to make them look more realistic.
What’s good for me — and many others like me — is the return of 3D Touch app switcher with iOS 11.1. Apple had pulled the feature from the original release of iOS 11, but now it’s back. As you’d expect, 3D Touch app switcher works by pressing on the side of the iPhone’s display to quickly reach the app switcher.
iOS 11.1 also patches the KRACK vulnerability in WPA2 Wi-Fi standard. You can view the full iOS 11.1 changelog below.
iOS 11.1 Full Changelog
- Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more
- Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
- Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
- Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
- Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots
- Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
- Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
- Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
- Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
- Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
- Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
- Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
- Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch
The update is now available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. iOS devices supporting the update start from iPhone 5s, iPad mini 2, iPad Air, sixth-gen iPod touch, and later devices in each category.
Apple wins bidding war for ‘Snow Blind’ starring Jake Gyllenhaal
Apple allocates its first $400 million to address California’s housing crisis
Google is reportedly facing an antitrust probe from its home state of California
Apple warns customers not to close MacBooks with a camera cover installed
Apple supplier Foxconn plans $1 billion investment in India
Apple will use Apple Silicon for Mac instead of Intel chips
Apple unveils macOS Big Sur with a new design
watchOS 7 adds new workout types, sleep tracking, and handwashing detection
Apple previews new iOS 14 features at WWDC 2020
iPadOS 14 brings Home Screen widgets, handwriting features and more
- Events1 week ago
Samsung’s Galaxy Unpacked 2020 scheduled for August 5
- News1 week ago
OnePlus Nord will be officially unveiled on July 21
- Apps & Software1 week ago
Google Currents launches for Android and iOS, takes over Google Plus
- News6 days ago
Apple Music time-synced lyrics arrive on Samsung Smart TVs